Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Side Table Update

This little table was the first piece of furniture Mr. Right and I bought after we were married. It looks a little worn and sad.
However, 20 years ago we were proud of our first purchase and through all the remodels and redecorating we've done, somehow this little table has survived. Maybe we've kept it for sentimental reasons or maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with the fact that it's been covered up with a tablecloth and hidden in the back guest room- I don't know. But the fact is we've had this little table for 20 years and it's was time to give it a little update. My eleven year old recently moved into her own room (The guest room, where this table was hiding) and would like a little room make-over. I've agreed to paint and decorate in her style so I'm beginning with this little table. After a few coats of white and a little sanding, here she is in all her glory...
Ahhh, so much better. I've got her stage in the living room right now, but in a few weeks she'll move into her new space- can't wait to show you guys what were doing! Also, make sure you visit My Dear Trash on Thursday! You'll have the opportunity to vote on an audition submission I working on for decorators. More details to come, but I'm really gonna need your help. Have a great Tuesday. Love, Kelly



Linking Up to:
Do it Yourself Day at A Soft Place to Land
Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family
Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented
Get your craft on! At Today’s Creative Blog
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
Toot Your Horn Tuesday at Silly Little Sparrow
Power of Paint at Domestically Speaking
Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design
White Wednesday at Faded Charm
Penny Pinching Party at The Thrifty Home
Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden
Furniture feature friday at Miss Mustard Seed’s

20 comments:

  1. Kelly:

    You don't need our help! You're a genius on your own!

    I saw a cute but battered wood coffee table down the street put out for trash pick up. Because of you, I'm thinking of picking it up and seeing what I can do with it!

    Peace,
    Edie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out GORGEOUS! Great job!!!!
    ~Tana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edie,
    Go Get it!!!! And send us some before and after pics. You can do it! I will lose sleep if you don't pick it up and I know there's a perfectly good piece of trash sitting on the curb. Go, Go, Go. :) Seriously, I do think you should go and get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Just love how it turned out. I really LOVE that clock. Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks gorgeous! Love the simplicity of the acessories...GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you've had it for so long, and now after updating it, you can keep it even longer!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That piece has killer feet on it!!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly- I have a desk I am thinking about refinishing after reading your blog...and gifting to my almost 8 year for her birthday for an art station for her room. Do I need to sand it all down? It's finish is in good shape, can I just wash it and prime and paint? Any good beginner tutorials you can point me to?
    Jamie G. from around the corner and up the street

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jamie,
    Here's my tips for painting furniture
    1.  Make sure your piece is solid wood and not laminate
    2.  Take apart as much of the piece as possible
    3.  Clean each piece (just soap and water)
    4.  Sand each piece, when possible
    5.  Prime with Kilz
    6.  I use Rustoleum's 2x coverage spray paint when painting things that have carvings or deep crevices (no need to prime when spray painting)
    7.  I use a foam roller on everything else.  
    8.  Buy good quality paint (I recommend Behr by Home Depot or Ralph Lauren)
    9.  Sand between each coat (unless you're using spray paint- no sanding needed)
    I use a palm sander for big jobs and a sanding block for everything else.

    Hope this helps. If the finish is in good shape and you don't want to sand- do a little spot with primer and paint, then run your hand roughly over it a few hours later. If it stays intact you should be okay without sanding. Good luck- send before and after pics we'd love to feature it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I have a kitchen table that I would love to have look like this. Are the directions you gave to the previous poster how you did this particulare piece? What about distressing it, how do you do that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kelly!

    Thanks for the support. I have a one year old who was napping. By the time I drove over to their house with the car, the coffee table was gone!

    Next time I'll try to move faster!

    Thanks for the advice about painting!
    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tips Kelly, I'm worried I'll ruin it, but I'm hoping if I decide to take the plunge I can send up an S.O.S. if it's not going well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laurie,
    To distress a piece I use a sanding block with ver fine (150 or 220 grit) sandpaper. If it's a big job I'll use my palm sander.

    Jamie,
    You know I'll help you. And just so you know you can never ruin a piece by trying to paint it- sandpaper works miracles- Can't wait to see this cute desk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done. The table is a terrific piece now.-- Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great table and adore the crown
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute little table, love the feet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty with a fresh coat of paint! Just lovely!

    Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day!

    ReplyDelete