Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Huge Idea Board


It's finally done! Some projects just take longer than others, and this was one of those projects. It all started at Goodwill. I saw this really ugly picture for 29.99- I knew no one in their right mind would want it, but with its 5 foot wide, 3 foot tall frame I knew it would make the perfect idea board for the craft room I've been working on. So... I waited patiently for 4 weeks for it to be 1.00 and it was mine!!!!

First, I removed the oh so beautiful painting, and threw it away put it in a special place. I did a little sanding to smooth out some chips and gave it a couple coats of Rustoleums heirloom white and a little Ralph Lauren Smoke glaze . Next, Mr. Right had a piece of sheet metal cut to size by our air conditioning guy. This is where the project got a little delayed. When he brought the metal home it didn't fit, so back he went the next day only to discover it didn't fit again. This time Mr. Right just decided to wittle on the frame a litle to make it fit. Once it was the correct size I gave it about 4 coats of Rustoleums chalkboard paint. I used the brush on, but decided I would buy a can of chalkboard spraypaint for the final coat to give a really smooth finish (Another delay)
After Mr. Right nailed it all back together and attached bulldogs to hang it, we realized it wouldn't fit on the wall in my craft room without taking it all the way up to the ceiling. (I have a file cabinet it has to go by) So he removed the bulldogs, flipped the frame, reattached the bulldogs and rehung it. (Now you know why I call him Mr. Right) Because I painted chalkboard paint over sheet metal, it's magnetic AND writable. I can't wait to get a list going of new ideas. I already found my first inspiration picture in the Pottery Barn catalog! Here's the final product.

Here's an upclose shot. Let me know what you think. Love, Kelly

I'm participating in Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design
and Make Your Monday at Twice Remembered




12 comments:

  1. Please tell me this one will be in a contest too. It's so cool and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY cute! I am going to have to make one of those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great. I made a chalkboard for my house and it's sooo helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it!! i have 3 chalkboards throughout my kitchen and i use all of them! none of them were originally chalkboards which make sthem super cute - i think!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you waited 4 weeks! Talk about patience!!! It turned out amazing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this thru Strut Your Stuff Thursday - I'm so glad you shared it!

    Years ago I had an apartment with a (small) wall that we coated in chalkboard spray paint, and we used to have so much fun with it. Your project took me back to that, so thanks for stirring my memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfectly rockin' chalkboard...great job! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. One buck? That is awesome! Looks great. :) Visiting you from Somewhat Simple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous dear. If you get tired of the chalk dust like I did. Hated piles of it on my craft floor - they make the awesome chalk board markers at Micheals and they are so neat to read.
    Can't wait to see the clock..
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great deal! I've had the stuff to make one out in the shed... Hope to get it made soon, now that I've seen yours turn out so well! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can't go wrong with a beautiful chalkboard. It looks great!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete