Search This Blog

Monday, December 26, 2011

A Few of my Favorite Things for Christmas

In so many ways, I’ve been feeling the love for my parents.
Maybe it’s because I’m getting older and they’re getting older.  I appreciate them so much.  I cherish every minute together.  I know how blessed I am.
So, for Christmas this year, I wanted to express my love to my parents through a gift of great trash.
This dresser was purchased for $75.00 at the thrift store . . . and I knew it would be perfect for my parent’s foyer.
Christmas Eve at my parent’s with a Mexican pot luck and my family that I hold so dear. 
After dinner, my brother Sam and I moved the dresser into the foyer.
My parent's reaction . . my favorite part of the entire process.  My mom cried.
I loved my dad's reaction when I told him the paint I used for the dresser was discounted opps! paint (paint that is on clearance because the customer isn't happy with how the color turned out).
I think his exact words were "That's my girl!"  
I found a dresser for my sister Becky too.
Remember her  baby shower a few months ago, how I painted this dresser for her yet-to-be-born daughter Emma?
Well, would you believe a few weeks ago I found the exact dresser in a nightstand at the same thrift store?
I knew it would be the perfect dresser for both these princesses.
I still had the paint at home, so it was easy to get it ready.
What about the counselor?  Did I get him a dresser too?
No, I had another idea.  It's been over a year since I printed off any photos.  I sent a huge order of enlargements to Costco, then went shopping for the frames at Goodwill.  What a great selection, most frames are $2.99.
Chandler helped me clean up the frames
 and spray paint them silver.  
We spent most of Christmas Eve day putting our photo enlargements into the frames. Spending this time with Chandler was precious.   
I was especially excited to turn this broken clock into a frame.
Christmas Eve night, the counselor went to bed at 1:00am and I stayed up until 2:00am putting these pictures around the living room among the kids gifts.  Do you see the clock turned frame hiding by the slide?
(Little Tike Slide $7.99 from Goodwill)
(Giraffe tent $7.99 from Goodwill)
(Basketball bookshelf $5.00 from garage sale, bike $40.00 off craigslist)
(Butterfly swing, swapped)
(P.J's $1.00 each from Goodwill)
(Pogo stick $7.99 from Goodwill, guitar $5.00 at a garage sale)
(Beautiful sleeping dog, priceless )
(Madame Alexandra doll $10.00 at a garage sale, little chair she's sitting in $6.98 at Mesa Thrift)
Hope your day was trashy, merry and bright & thanks for the Christmas gift of 1,000 followers.  

2 comments:

  1. Laura your dresser turned out beautiful and looks like there are some nice gifts under and around that tree. Bet you had some happy kids Christmas morning.
    I gave my two sons and grandson each a present from Goodwill/thrift shop. They were like new, still in the boxes. The boys didn't even know that they were from the thrift shop until I told them. Two of the three said they were their favorite presents and each was under $10. One of the presents was a radio controlled car. I knew it was expensive when I picked it up. My son looked it up on Ebay and they are selling for over $100! I love thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find good things :) Love the dressers ~ especially the one for your parents.

    ReplyDelete