Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Inside the Framework - Expensive or Cheap?

This week I shopped at Michaels Craft store, something I rarely do because I’m so not crafty. I needed some magnets for a photography project I’m working on. Before you get all excited, I should let you know my project was as simple as pasting magnets on the back of photographs that I’m giving away to friends and neighbors for Christmas. With a 40% off coupon I found in the paper, I ran into the store to see what I could find.

My magnets were $6.49 and I was ready to check out, but Mayer needed to use the bathroom. We walked to the back of the store and I waited outside the door of the men’s room. Next to the wall where I stood was a huge assortment of large gorgeous frames; all varieties, all colors and all PRICES.



Some were really ornate, with carved wood to look like royalty, while others were more abstract with steel silver-plated metal. There was also the pottery barn looking frame: white, simple and expensive.

I just about dropped Reef when I realized the prices of the frames. They ranged from $49.99, to $149. Keep in mind this doesn’t even include the price of the glass or artwork.

I thought about the frame Kelly just re-did. Her frame was huge and ornate, definitely up in the $149 price range. And she paid $1.00 for it!

When I got home later, I felt a little spoiled as I looked around at the gorgeous frames I have hanging on my walls. All have been picked up at yard sales and thrift stores, some just as recent as last week.

I bought this frame with Kelly in mind, wondering what her magic would do with it. I paid $2.99 at 1/2 off day at Goodwill. The latice work is really unique and in perfect condition.

I found this frame at a yard sale. The gentleman was asking $150.00 for it and said it was from an estate sale. The frame alone is worth at least $150.00. I loved the picture, but there was no way I could pay that much for it. He asked me to make him an offer. "$60.00," I said. And he helped me carry it to my car.

I bought this antique clock for $3.00 at a garage sale. The clock didn't work, but it works great as a frame.

I found this huge metal ceiling tile in Flagstaff at a thrift store. I just love it. And once I painted the flowers on it, I loved it even more.

I paid $2.00 for this Pottery Barn ribbon-latice framed photo-board. It was in two separate pieces when I found it, but a flat-head screwdriver helped me get it back together.

It's really fun finding vintage frames. I pulled out a somewhat nasty yellow papered print and replaced it with my own photo.

I found this at a yard sale with the original $52.00 price tag still on it. I paid $2.00.

I purchased this at a yard sale from the artist herself. She spent some time telling me about the painting, so this piece has some sentimental value to it. I paid $8.00.

The man who sold me this piece said his father purchased it in South America. I just love the frame. It's so funky, not to mention huge and heavy. I paid $10.00.

I needed a really large piece of artwork to go on my mantel that rests just above the fireplace. I also needed something that was big enough to just sit on the mantel itself. Most of the walls in my home are solid brick and I knew it would be a bear to hammer a nail into the brick wall of my fireplace. If found this piece on clearance at Mesa Thrift for $4.99. It's the biggest piece I have in my house.

I just love this piece. It's so soft and delicate.

I found these frames last week and I'm trying to decide what to do with them. I just love them both. Plus, its always a bonus to find a painting with an artist signature, like this frame from Holland.


This sketch is too cute. Maybe I'll save it for a birthday present for some lucky little girl.

What's inside the framework of your mind. Send me your finds and ideas at lauralofgreen@aol.com. I'd love to feature you on "My Dear Trash."




1 comment:

  1. Ooh I love all of these frames! Your home is so cozy, warm, and inviting, and each time I come over it seems you have some new treasures on display. Love it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete