Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Trash to Cash Benefit Garage Sale & Bake Sale for Leah Lowe

Our beautiful friend Leah Lowe was diagnosed with a rare aggressive form of cancer. It is called T-cell lymphoma and is quickly spreading through her body.

A community yard sale was the way Kelly and I responded to this crisis. Trash works wonders, selling trash makes money and money pays the bills for someone who is sick.

Working with members of our Mormon church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) and our neighbors, Kelly and I asked for donations;

Clothes, books, furniture, toys, etc.

We also had a bake sale, my favorite because I love buying yummy treats for a good cause

My drive way started filling up several days before hand. By Friday night it was impressive. We worked, organizing & sorting trash until 10:00pm.

Friends of Leah's stop by to drop off cookies.
The sale was supposed to start Saturday morning at 7:30am, but would you believe my doorbell rang at 5:45am.

Crazy people shop for trash at 5:45am, but by 6:00am, we’d already made $300.00.

Thank you crazy, beautiful people with cash!

In Arizona during the month of June, temperatures can reach 110 degrees, but the day of our sale is was a cool 82 degrees. It was gorgeous, with most of the trash on tables in the shade.

Ideal shopping conditions.

Thanks to volunteers who took over the sale,

Kelly and I were able to leave for an hour. Where did we go?

The grand opening of the new Goodwill Concept Store in Scottsdale.

This new store sells high end merchandise to the more sophisticated shopper.

Kelly and I spotted the traditional sale day sign; the trusted balloon & our blood started pumping.

The store was packed not only with eager customers, but with the nicest employees from the Goodwill corporate offices.

Merchandise was really moving and I said to Courtney, our contact from corporate, that the store would most likely be empty in a couple of hours.

But you know Goodwill.

They have another truckload of donations ready to be put out on the floor.

After about an hour, Kelly and I headed back to the Benefit Garage Sale & Bake Sale for Leah Lowe.

Kelly was once again anointed with the trusted apron and the pocket filled with cash.

How much was raised for Leah?

Thanks to many cash donations, including a friend who donated $500.00, we were able to raise over $2,000.00.

$200.00 was raised at our bake sale.

Leah was so grateful. We pray for God’s miracle to bless you and your family, Leah.

Thank you to all who donated trash and cash.

Leah's husband has set up and account at Well's Fargo for any donations you may want to make. The account number is 2247712256.

7 comments:

  1. God Bless you all...and your kind hearts! So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful group you are!!! I will be praying for Leah. That Hoosier is gorgeous I hope it sold, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
    Can't wait to go to the new goodwill store, whooot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Laura & Kelly for organizing this. Thanks so much to ALL my angels who donated, and worked on behalf of my family. This is a very humbling thing to go through. I hope and pray you receive blessings for all your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! This is awesome.

    I feel bad I couldn't help, though...I did email mydeartrash about dropping things off but never heard back. Very glad that you were swamped with stuff!
    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea to help out a friend. I'm so glad you were so successful! (P.S. Thanks so much for following me! It means the world!)
    xoxo,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to bring to your attention a no-cost online option.
    You can list all of your items for sale on http://www.privategaragesale.com at absolutely no cost. We charge no fees and no commissions whatsoever. Free is free, for both sellers and buyers. You collect whatever you collect and keep it all for Leah's benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edie,
    It is so nice to hear from you. You have made such a difference in my life. Your encouragement is amazing. Thank you for being such a faithful follower.
    I'm sorry I didn't get back to you until now. Kelly and I just opened this email account and I was having some difficulty setting it up. As you know the yardsale was a huge success. I hope to meet you some day and thank you for setting some things aside. Perhaps you could take them to the yard sale for the fallen police officer. I want to support his benefit yard sale, but the counselor's sister is getting married this weekend and I'll be supporting her.
    Much love to you Edie, you are a sweetheart.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete