Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My Love for Writing and Raise The Standard Event

Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to speak at the Kimber Academy here in Mesa.  
The private school, in its second year, focuses on God, family and country.  Every week the Kimber Academy has a spirit day, where an inspiring guest comes in to share a message. 

I started by showing the kids this mirror I had just painted and shared how I found it at the thrift store.  
I told them my passion for finding trash and making it beautiful again; how it’s more then just a physical task, it’s spiritual too.  Sometimes we don’ feel like we have much worth, but we are God’s children and He is the Creator who makes us beautiful. 

I spoke on “Seek that which is Divine” and shared the story of how my mom author Sarah Hinze and I wrote The Memory Catcher. 
I highlighted how the only way we were able to write The Memory Catcher is because my mom kept journals throughout her life.  We discussed why God would want us to write at all.

The grass withereth, the flower fadeth; but the word of our God shall stand for ever. Isaiah 40:8.  Sometimes I wonder where I’d be if the prophets of old hadn’t taken time to write down what God inspired them to think and feel. 

When experiences happen, like a small miracle or a heart-warming event or a tragedy or something deeply sorrowful, I think writing it down not only helps us to recognize God’s hand in our lives, but it allows us to remember.  Sometimes we have a lesson to learn while other times we rejoice in our blessings.  The very act of writing leaves an imprint in our mind.  It’s therapeutic and allows us to linger in our thoughts, linking more ideas to what we are impressed with.  We can then reflect and share personal witness with others who are struggling or need to feel God’s love in their own lives.  We can heal and reflect.  Writing can be a holy task.

While at the Kimber Academy, I had the opportunity to meet the director Nancy Jones Genys.  She shared with me her vision of the Kimber Academy and the adjoining Clearview Cultural Center.  An event she has coordinated is Raise the Standard.


In celebration of God, family and country, Nancy believes our fundamental beliefs in the constitution of the United States of American will move mountains. Her hope is to improve our educational system and raise children with outstanding moral character.  When Glenn Beck heard about the event, he signed on as well as many other outstanding figures.  See the full list of speakers by clicking here.


I was so inspired by Nancy and most importantly, asked if she ever sleeps.  Seriously, she is a force of nature and passionate about her mission.  I've coordinated events for Earth Day at Arizona State University and Scottsdale Center for the Arts.  I know how difficult it is to start with an idea and watch it grow until it's a full blown event with celebrities, media and a million dollar insurance policy.  It's weeks of no sleep and inspiration when you least expect it.  I'd be standing in line at the grocery store and have an idea for marketing or a press release title.  Nancy's amazing work ethic has inspired me to continue on my path of passion.


Maybe a good way to find that purpose is to sit down with a pen and paper and get writing. That's usually how it starts.  You can order tickets to Raise the Standard event scheduled October 11 and 12, 2013 , by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment