Search This Blog

Friday, June 29, 2012

Peacock Blue or Peacock Green?

 I finally did it.  My $1.00 can of blue paint is done and this is the last dresser it was used on.
Remember this can of paint.  I found it at a garage sale.  
At first, I didn’t think anything of it.  It wasn't a color I'd ever used before.  I didn’t even ask the home owner how much he wanted for it.
But, the next weekend, the homeowner had the garage sale again and that’s when it occurred to me that the paint might make a great color for painting dressers.
“How much would you like for this can of paint,” I asked.
“How about $1.00.”
Isn’t that just like music to your ears.
I brought it home and found the perfect funky dresser to paint.
Then, my neighbor the caterer came over when I finished painting the blue dresser.
“That’s such a great blue,” she said, “like a peacock blue.”
I thought her interpretation of the blue sounded quite trendy, so I listed the blue dresser on craigslist as Peacock Blue Shabby Chic Vintage Dresser.
I had several calls on it, each person asking if I still had the peacock blue dresser.
I really feel trendy adjectives in a listing will help sell the piece.
So, I tried it with another color.
I found this green in the Oops! Paint at Ace.
When I first finished painting this dresser, I ran to show the caterer.
I wasn’t so sure.  Was it too bold?
“Does the green remind you of the signs the forest service uses?” I asked.
“No, it’s a great green, I really like it.”
Then, I had an idea.  Peacock feathers had green in them too.
I posted the dresser on craigslist as a Peacock Green Shabby Chic Buffet Dresser.
Once again, I had several calls for the peacock dresser and it sold that day.
I’m now on the lookout for my next great color.  Maybe I’ll find it for $1.00, maybe it will be a color that is found on a peacock, but probably not.
Linking up to:

2 comments:

  1. You did right when you choose the color of peacock as an inspiration. The dresser now have a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors.Just wanted to stop by and say hello. I may not comment but enjoy your posts. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete