Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Huge Dining Table Redo!

My Dear Friend and fellow trash collector, Laura, Gave me this 9 foot, thousand pound table (okay maybe not 1,000 pounds, but really heavy). As always, she was anxious to see what I could do with it. Being that it was 9 feet long and a thousand pounds, Mr. Right was unusually enthusiastic (something about men and big heavy sold wood things) In fact, he was so excited about the project, he bought me a new sander. Now I've had my palm sander for years and have redone numerous pieces of furniture, but when Mr. Right offers to buy me a "real" tool, I have to oblige. Here it is! The Ridgid, multispeed, 6" diameter (so much bigger than my previous 5" diameter) "Man" sander.I have to admit this baby cut through those layers of paint like butter.

So, Here's what I did: When redoing furniture, I always start by taking the piece apart, as much as you can. So I removed the pedestals and placed the table top across one of my work tables. Then I Sanded the top completely down to the raw wood. Next, I used a hand sanding block around the edges and pedestals. Now I was ready for paint. I decided I wanted to put a quote on the table so I painted the table top a creamy white. I used Rustleum's Semi Gloss black for the pedestals and the edges of the table. When you have a lot of carving details, it's best to spray paint. Here's the pedestals, ready for their new top.


After the creamy white was dry I printed out an original quote on my cricut. Mr. Right drew lines on the table so I could put the quote on evenly. After approximately 6 coats of rolled on Behr Black Semi Gloss paint, I was able to start peeling the letters off. Here's a sneek peak...If you look closely you can see the letters that are still under the paint. And here she is all done!

I used Harrington Font for the quote and all of the words are the same size, but I noticed these pictures make them look a little Star Wars-ish. Here's a closer look...From the side...


Closer...
We placed her on the back patio as were hosting a dinner party tomorrow night and this will be the centerpiece. I'll be posting about the party on Monday, so you can see her in all her glory. I hope I did Laura's amazing gift justice. Let me know what you think. Love, Kelly

Linking Up to:
Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous
Remodelaholics Anonymous at Remodelaholic
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed's

Do it Yourself Day at A soft Place to Land

Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family

Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented





43 comments:

  1. When are you going to start selling your trash?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justice is not the word I'm looking for here, maybe more something like "Are you kidding me?"
    Wow! This table is now worth a fortune. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! What a great friend...curious if she wants it back now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a gorgeous table! if you were to buy that at a store today, it would cost thousands of dollars.
    nice job.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, Kelly, that table is GORGEOUS! I love the words, so beautiful and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! That looks amazing! I am lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. I also work with painted furniture and I love to put words or quotes on my pieces so your work "spoke" to me :0

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yet another beautiful project that used a cricut...do you use it often enough to make it worth the $?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breathtaking! I am such a fan of painted black furniture. Great job...you sure did your friend and her gift proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually have the smaller cricut- my mom gave it to me when she realized she wasn't going to use it (I think she paid close to 300.00 for it, because it was the newest thing at the time) That same machine is now on sale at JoAnn's this week for just 84.00- is it worth it? absolutely! But only if you invest in the sure cuts a lot program which is $75.00- This allows you to use all of your fonts on your computer- You never have to buy a cartridge- I don't receive any type of endorsement for sure cuts a lot- I'm just a satisfied customer. You can find it on scrappingtable.com or google sure cuts a lot

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow that really is a specatular piece!
    Great job..
    ~Tana

    ReplyDelete
  12. FREE...my favorite word! You did a outstanding job on this makeover...I just luv this awesome table...can't believe it was a freebie! Come by and check out my new NIFTY THRIFTY PARTY...I think you might like it:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, it looks SOOO much better in black. and what a unique idea with the saying on top! very awesome redo :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a beautiful table! It has great bones and the saying on top is so fun!

    I am so glad you stopped by to join our little the party, I hope to see you there again! We have them every Friday. (And we are now doing a recipe link up on Wednesday!)

    Cassity @ Remodelaholic

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a large 8 seater table in my dinning room that I'm itching to paint. I want a black one, too!

    You did a marvelous job!

    Thank you so much for linking up with the Talented Tuesday link party at My Frugal Family, which is hosted every Tuesday. Please feel free to stop back in every week and post your newest projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's just fantastic! I love the wording you used!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! I absolutely love that table. I have a smaller round(oval when leaves are in)table that I would just love to treat the same way. Maybe words around the edge though-I have lots of thinking to do!! It's beautiful and thanks for sharing/inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful table. I love the lettering you did on it. What a great table for a party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just really, really inspired!

    Blessings ~ Eileen @ Star's Fault

    ReplyDelete
  20. That table looks like a beast! It is so pretty, so lucky you for getting it for free. I really like your choice to put the quote on it. It makes it personal and special. What a surprise for those who eat dinner around it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so cool! I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cool idea! It won't be hard to get your kids to the dinner table!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this! So gorgeous and unique!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome! Will this stay outside?

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow! I love, love, love it! ohhhh how I wish I had a cricut!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is just what I needed to see today-(Beautiful!) someone who spray painted a table! I need to do something to my kitchen table, and I love the words and the painting...
    What paint do you recomend?
    (lorikids1@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh, that is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Are you kidding me?!? That's amazing!!! I'm so gonna start stalking....I mean, following you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely. I absolutely love how it turned out! Found you via asoftplacetoland! I think I'll stay awhile and look around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh my WORD! I am speechless. truly speechless. this reminds me of the project we have going on right now with our front door. Different application, kinda same look. thanks for the tips on how you did yours :)

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is just gorgeous! I bet your friend wants the table back now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is beautiful. You have inspired me to attempt it myself.

    I am new to your blog but will be returning.

    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  33. I recently inherited an old, very heavy dining room table and chairs from my grandfather. While I know it is best to sand it down and then refinish or paint it, if I just painted over how it is now, would it look good? Also, would I be able to just sand over the paint and everything if I decided to refinish it correctly later on? It is a dark wood finish now, and I want it black!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lauren,
    If the finish is in perfect condition you can use spray paint and prime, then spray the table. If the finish is in poor condition your paint will most likely chip off. If you try the paint without sanding, you can always go back and sand it off. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great job on the table! I am so impressed with it. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. this piece is gorgeous!!! funny thing is, we have the exact table that we want to refinish. can you tell us what kind of paint we should use, and did you sand the whole table or just the table top, was it a laminated wood top or solid wood? thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. and are the stencils straight on to the raw wood of the table? thx again

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous,
    I used Behr semi-gloss paint on the top. First painted creamy white (so no the stencils aren't on the raw wood) then apply stencils, then paint behr semi-gloss black. The top is solid wood and I sanded it down to bare wood. The sides and pedestals were lightly sanded with a block sander. I used Rustoleums 2X coverage Semi-gloss black to spray the sides and the pedestals- Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is a wonderful collection you have brought together here. There are some extremely creative designers out there. Great page. round dining tables

    ReplyDelete
  40. What size lettering did you use I absolutely love what you did I want to do this on my table.

    ReplyDelete