I’ve been schooled the last three months in babyness.
It’s been absolutely blissful. I honestly did not expect it to be like this. As I mentioned in previous posts, I was certain this pregnancy and baby was more than I could handle, that I was too overwhelmed. That’s not how I feel anymore. Although Canyon is my sixth baby, the entire experience has felt brand new.
This is what I’ve learned since having Canyon.
1. God will perform mighty miracles in your life when you do difficult things. Having Canyon has allowed me to see what God can do for me with my unique personality and life experiences. When I thought I was weak, He gave me strength. What I thought I would just “get through best I could” has turned into one of the most tender and beautiful experiences of my life. I have more love in my heart than I thought possible. My faith has increased tremendously.
2. The innocence and vulnerability of a baby has absolutely come alive for me. When you look at a precious baby and the needs only you can meet for them are apparent, you have such a sense of worth and love for that baby while fulfilling those needs. I learned this right away. When Canyon was born, he was placed on my chest crying. I soothed his little back and spoke to my son “Momma’s here, Momma’s here.” He immediately stopped crying. Later when he cried, I again spoke to him. I couldn’t believe how responsive he was to my voice. Just speaking to him in a soft tone soothed him.
3. A baby can offer healing. The recent abortion videos/controversy have left me in tears. Never have I felt the sting of innocent lives lost as I have since the videos release. I have had the privilege and comfort of holding my newborn baby while working through my emotions over these horrific acts. Some nights I will get him out of his crib and hold him because of the love and energy I feel from his little soul. I tremble to think only months earlier he was the size of the babies who have been killed and body parts sold.
4. Although I’ve never had an abortion, abortion affects me in many ways, especially as a mother. I have a respect for babies I’ve never had before. In a very realistic way with 55 million abortions (fact found here), there are few survivors. In some ethnicities, more babies are aborted every year than born. I look at my son as a survivor. He will bless me throughout my life. Every baby is special. I think there is light shining from new babies and their experience on earth should be loved and celebrated.
5. A baby can change the tone of a home. There is more patience, love and joy. My two teenagers are smitten with their baby brother. My ten year-old can’t get enough. My daughter and 7 year-old son have to take turns because they are both so excited to hold the baby. I feel the lessons learned about the dignity of life and purity of a baby will forever impact my children.
Being a new mom has been an extraordinary experience. Pregnancy is difficult. Looking back, I wish I could have had more vision of the joy that was to come. Because of what I went through, I feel I’m more sympathetic to pregnant woman. Seriously, if you are a pregnant woman and I cross your path I will caress you with affection and compliments. I love pregnant woman. Also, if you have a baby prepare to be bombarded with love and adoration. I love babies. It is my commitment to never forget what I’ve learned from Canyon.