Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Frame Collage For $5

Do you remember the 3 frames I purchased for $5 two weeks ago? If not, here's a pic to refresh your memory:I have a huge wall in my tv room that needed some art work. We just finished tearing down to studs, drywalling, texturing, wood flooring, painting and triming this room 1 year ago (yes, we did it ALL ourselves). When I found these frames I knew what to do. First, I took the insides of the frames out (this is the part that has fabric) At first I was just going to toss them, but then I noticed they were just another frame- and If you know me I can always use another frame. I ripped off the fabric and then laid out the frames on the floor, in front of the huge wall, to find a shape for my collage.
After painting all 6 frames black and distressing the edges I had to enlist Mr. Right to do the technical part: hanging. The first thing he let me know is my layout wouldn't work. He explained that the frames closest to the wall needed to be the same or close to the same thickness. After much rearranging (all done by Mr. Right- he can be so artsy sometimes) we finally agreed on a new layout and Mr. Right began putting the collage together. He decided if he nailed the frames together with a brad gun we could then lift the frames as one piece onto the wall and then brad gun the back frames to the wall. Well, like usual, he was right.
Here's the finished collage. I'm thrilled with it. Because this wall is mostly a walkway into the room I couldn't place a table or anything that sticks out too much. The frames were the perfect solution.Here's a closer shotand even closer...This is how you see the wall as you walk into the room

and here's a picture from the opposite side of the room (TV and built in cabinets are to the right)
This room still has a little way to go (Did you notice the pink wingback chair in the corner?) But we're really making some great progress- Thanks to $5 and 3 frames. Let me know what you think. Love Kelly

Linking up to Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design
Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family
Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented



16 comments:

  1. Kelly! Gorgeous! So abstract and really catches the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was EXACTLY what I had in mind when I told you I wanted to do a frame project. Except I was going to add small frames in the front and use them for photos. Brad discouraged me, saying, "Do you have any idea how hard that would be?" Unfortunately, I've already filled the space on my wall where this was going to be . . . I'm posting pictures of it tomorrow.
    But thanks for proving him wrong, and thanks for living my ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it love it love it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the way that turned out! So creative! Looks like something about of a PB catalog. Thanks for sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Idea for the frames...very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I linked to this post today on my blog. Hope you don't mind, and you can see what I did instead. Still good, just not as creative! Nor as thrifty, I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe this is the same room! Love the wall. I wish I had more wall space to do fun stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the arrangement! You've got an eye for detail! Cool that you started with three frames and ended up with six!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Make it Yours day! I'm looking forward to seeing more clever ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An absolutely wonderful idea....love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!
    I love it!
    I love it!

    I have such a love for open frames and you did yours wonderfully!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a Great architectural piece now! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous idea and really this item goes for BIG bucks in the home decor stores! I was a sales person this past year:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - that looks really cool Very clean and modern. So fun!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks fantastic!

    Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back tomorrow to see which links from last week are featured, and to add your new links!

    ReplyDelete