Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Secretary Desk ReDo and Sneek Peek at Baby Shower

Laura's baby shower is just 4 days away, and I've been prepping for weeks. If you remember, I found this desk at a garage sale last month for $15. At the time I wasn't sure what to do with her, then I decided she would look great, painted in cream, and used as a little check-in for the shower. I think it's nice to have guests fill out an envelop to make thank you cards easier for the honoree, and this will work perfectly. First, I removed all the insides, then did some major repairs. You can see in the before picture that some of the wood was missing. It did have a few of the broken off pieces, but I had to do some major wood filling. After lots of sanding, priming and painting. Here's the shell of the desk ready to go.
When I started painting the insides of the desk I noticed a red stain coming through the primer- I had used Kilz, oil based primer because it is the best-It blocks stains, odors, etc. However, I couldn't believe after 2 coats of primer the red still came through. Here's what it looked like on one of the small drawers...
I had to leave the project for a few days- mostly due to frustration. When I returned to it, I thought I'd experiment by using a water based Kilz primer product. After 2 coats, it worked. I shabbied it up a bit and here's the final result...This is the check-in for the shower and a little sneek peek at the colors and theme (can you figure it out?) Here she is all closed up.
Did you notice those beautiful glass knobs? If you remember they were something I picked up free. You can read about that Here. A closer look...

I'm not sure what I'll do with her after the shower (might be a craigslist item to add to the challenge total - what do you think she's worth?) but I think she will make the perfect statement at the shower. Hope you had a great weekend. Tomorrow I'll be posting my swap items and garage sale finds- It was a sweet week! Love, Kelly

Linking Up to:

Make your Monday at Twice Remembered

Make it for Monday at Cottage instincts

Metamorphasis Monday at Between Naps on the porch

Do it Yourself Day at A soft Place to Land

Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family

Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented

Strut your Stuff Thursday at Somewhat Simple

Furniture feature friday at Miss Mustard Seed’s

Vintage Thingie Thursday at Colorado Lady




26 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how frustrated you must have been especially after two coats of that Kilz primer! It turned out great and what a good idea to use as a check-in station for the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what she's worth, but she is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its lovely, how could you not want to keep it? Can it go in a guest room, or in a corner of a room, or use it as a nightstand in your room....you can't part with it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful, I can't believe purchased it for only $15...what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so pretty. I am having a shower at my house in May and is it crazy that I am making all of these lists of decorating projects that I want to get done before then. I should be thinking ahead about food and party stuff but I'm thinking about my house. Help !$#%##!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your desk...that was quite a re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUCH a neat idea for a shower "prop"! Found you on Reinvented today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. turned out great!!

    I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog - come and check it out!!
    http://madebystephie.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! Great piece of furniture anyway - but a vision in white! Great job! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! what an improvement! the new color looks fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks beautiful painted. What a great find.

    I'm hosting a party and would love to have you come over and link this up!

    http://mybackyardeden.blogspot.com/2010/03/make-it-yours-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can just imagine your frustration at the red still showing through after two coats of paint. It looks gorgeous now. I can't believe it only cost $15.00 Great find on it.

    I would like to invite you to my blog to enter into a fabulous giveaway I am having.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it in the cream! What a pretty little desk for $15. I can't wait for yardsales to start up again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the chippy look. I'd keep it, I have a difficult time letting go of treasures like this. Happy VTT
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  15. That reminds me of a desk my mother had. I played with it when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would buy her in a heart beat because that is so much like my Aunty's, Today I posted an old one I refinished but yours is much more like my Aunt's! Too bad you are not in AZ for the Craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the SECOND antique secretary post I've seen on VTT today!! Om fact. the OTHER one was over at Roslyn's place and I see that Roslyn left a comment here just before me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a marvelous makeover on that desk. Never know it was the same one. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so cute!!! You have really found some great pieces and transformed them into wonderful workable items for any home! I am sure the shower is going to be a success!! Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great! You did a wonderful job. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's beautiful. I love Secretary Desk. Have been looking all over the internet for one that looks vintage. Love this one. YOu should keep it. I bet you would miss it if you sold it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this look! next time use kilz premium instead of kilz2

    ReplyDelete