Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

The Bake Sale

A few months ago I was asked to coordinate the bake sale for our kids annual elementary school carnival. As I accepted, my mind quickly began planning a decorating theme. I thought it would be fun to try and create a French Bakery atmosphere. My first task was to order this...
A gazebo style EZ Up. I thought with a ceiling and 3 walls, I could really create a store like environment. So, after lots of planning, creating and gathering supplies, Mr. Right and I dropped everything off at the school. Here's what we started with...
Looks like a whole lota trash! Unfortunately, there were really high winds the day of the bake sale and part way through setting up the gazebo, we realized it was not going to be a good idea. I was instantly disappointed as this would also mean I wouldn't be able to hang the chandelier and all the signs I made to label the tables. My disappointment, however, quickly faded when I walked into the room where parents were to drop off their donated baked goods...
Here's just a small peek at some of the items. The generosity of our parents was truly overwhelming. Mr. Right and I made some major adjustments in my decorating plans and opened for business promptly at 5:30pm. Here's the entrance (La Boulangerie is French for The Bakery) This is an antique frame I picked up last week for $2.00, I cut out a thin piece of wood, painted it and used my cricut to apply vinyl lettering. The metal urn is also a garage sale item that was $5 (what a find, as this thing weighs a ton!)
Here's a peek at some of the tables...
Amazing rolls and loaves of zucchini and pumpkin bread.
Yummy cinnamon and orange rolls

Rice Krispy treats are always a big seller.
Pineapple upside down and Texas sheet cake, cupcakes and muffins...We had tons of delicious brownies. Triple chocolate Ghirardelli, chocolate chip, and the first to sell out...

Mint brownies! Here's what our little La Boulangerie looked like at 8:30pm, when the carnival ended...
Every item SOLD! And here's a pic of our ticket holder...


In the end we made $670 at the bake sale alone! What a great opportunity to volunteer and to use so many of my garage sale finds. If you've been reading My Dear Trash for very long, I'm sure you recognize many of the display pieces as previous trash purchases. Hope you all had as great a weekend as I did- can't wait to show you my garaging finds tomorrow. Love, Kelly




3 comments:

  1. OMG that is the coolest bake sale I have ever seen! You are amazing! Just want you to know you inspired me to give ebay a shot. I have picked up a few really great name brand pieces we will see how it goes. If I do well I would love to send my family on vacation too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I love the idea of using tickets... Did you have a table where shoppers could buy tickets before going through the Bakery? Also, I saw soda boxes in one of the pictures - did you have soda for sale as well? (or was that for volunteers). Any extra information would be great -- this sounds like such a wonderful fundraiser! :) -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little Tidbit,
    The bake sale was actually part of a huge school carnival. There were hotdogs, pizza from pizza hut, soda, cotton candy, snow cones, bouncies, game booths, an auction and more. The PTO profited over 14,000 from this one fundraiser. There were many sponsors, parent volunteers and community members that came together for this one. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete