Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

An Ottoman Make-over

Here's the before picture of the ottoman I picked up this weekend for $5.Here's the after...
What did I do? First, I removed the top and sprayed the wood with Rustoleum's Semi Gloss Black. Then, I had to strip off the old fabric. My tools of choice: Screw driver and pliers. After removing a million staples, I discovered a second layer of fabric- and a million more staples.
Once it was stripped down, I used the old fabric as a pattern for my new fabric. This is the bolt of fabric I bought a few weeks back for $3 for 6 yards at a garage sale- what a deal.
I wanted to create a quote in French that would have a romantic touch for our master bedroom. I decided on "I guess it's meant to be, forever you and me, after all" You may want to get out some crackers for this very cheesy explanation. Our wedding song was "After All" by Cher and Peter Cetera- I know, I'm almost embarassed to say it- Just when you think it couldn't get worse, I'm pretty sure the song for the father/daughter dance was "Wind beneath my wings"- okay moving on... I printed out the quote on my computer using different sizes of Edwardian Script font. My plan was to use transfer paper and then fill in the letters with a paint pen. However, the transfer paper wouldn't leave lines, due to the soft surface. So, I got out my cricut
I cut each of the words, removed the letters, and used the negative as a stencil. I used a very dry brush with black paint to fill in the letters. It seems whenever things go wrong with a project, it's later a blessing. I'm so glad I ended up using the stencil method. This made the letters a very soft faded black.
Here she is all done.
I think she looks great at the foot of the bed for now, but when the master bathroom remodel is done, I think she will go with my vanity.
I love all the carving details on the legs.
Hope you enjoyed. Love, Kelly

Linking Up to:


Do it Yourself Day at A soft Place to Land


Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family


Trash to Treasure Tuesday at Reinvented


Furniture feature friday at Miss Mustard Seed’s





9 comments:

  1. oh that looks stunning!! Great job!
    ~Tana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is an awesome $5.00 makeover...luv how you made it over! Come by and link it up at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS party...hope to see you there:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy it! It looks beautiful! I love the saying (and the story). I also love the saying above your bed! Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, great job, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!
    And way to score on that yard sale fabric yardage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kelly! It's fantastic!!

    I had ottoman fever too--and recovered my own little ottoman last weekend. I even got brave and added a few button tuffts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks gorgeous, you did a great job. I love the lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful find for $5.00. I would've snapped that up so fast. I also love the lettering you added to the top. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete