Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

I'm an "As Is" Kinda Girl

I've learned something about myself.
I can' t fix anything.
Don't get me wrong, I can fix your broken heart with a plate of chocolate chip cookies
or a fresh bouquet of flowers.
What I mean is I'm not crafty. I certainly have the vision. For example, I thought I'd do something with this frame I found at Goodwill, but it's just sat in my garage.
And these lovely glass folding doors, I knew they could be something amazing, but . . . I ended up giving them away at the Fraser Field Swap.
On a whim, I thought I'd try to be like Kelly and bring things home, fix them up and resale them. Here's a look at that go.
I found this lamp at Goodwill on $1.00 day. Boy, this could be turned into something great, right?
It's heavy rod iron; just a bit chipped up. I brought it home and Mayer helped me paint it gold (his suggestion).
Reef waited patiently in the swing while we finished up.
Here's how it turned out.

I placed it on Craig's list for $25.00 and it never sold, but I don't get discouraged easily. So, I tried another piece.
I found this large hanging rack at Mesa Thrift for $9.99 and brought it home to fix up.
I painted it, tried to "vintage it" like Kelly does, but it doesn't quite have the same feel to it like her stuff does. Anyway, I listed it on Craig's list for $35.00 and it never sold.
What have I learned from these experiences? I'm an "as is' kinda girl.
I find things at yard sales and thrift stores and sell them only if they're already in great shape and ready to go.
Here's several items I've sold "as is" over the years.
I found this chair at Goodwill on 1/2 off day and paid $20.00 for it.
I brought it home and paired it off with this vintage end table I purchased for $7.00 the same day.
As a set, the vintage lounge chair and end table sold for $85.00.

This nifty little folding table and chair set I found at a yard sale for $15.00. It sold"as is" on Craig's list for $75.00.
This couch was purchased at a yard sale in the summer around 11:00 am, when it's 110 degrees. The family practically begged me to take it away, so for $20.00 I brought it home. It sold on Craig's List that afternoon for $100.00.
I ventured out with this huge John Wayne painting/sketch. I purchased it for $5.00 at a garage sale and it sold on Craig's list for $50.00.
This was a stretch as well; a roof rack I purchased at Goodwill for $20.00 on 1/2 off day. It sold on Craig's list for $65.00.
This chair was originally from Potato Barn. I purchased it at a yard sale for $25.00 and it sold $95.00 on Craig's list.
And this vintage phone table? Bought for $20.00, sold "as is" for $60.00.
Currently on Craig's list, I have a few pieces of dear trash.
A large slab of granite I paid $5.00 for at a yard sale. I've listed it for $50.00.
A room divider/partition I paid $5.00 for. I've listed for $45.00.
And this vintage phone. I paid $10.00 for it at Goodwill and listed it at $35.00.
My favorite and best "as is" purchase? I found this Monsters Inc. Boo Doll at a yard sale and paid .50 cents. It sold on EBay for $78.00. How's that for a return on your money?
If I can do this, anyone can. Are you an "as is" girl like me or a "crafty" lady like Kelly? Either way, get out their and get shopping and have a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. This is way too exciting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I so need to do this....WOW! Thanks for sharing, Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, and am starting to wonder if I am an 'as is' girl myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite and best "as is" purchase? I found this Monsters Inc. Boo Doll e mail: diana@refrodi.com

    ReplyDelete