Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Trash To Cash Wednesday!

I just hit my 1 year anniversary for selling clothes on ebay so I took a stroll down memory lane and read some of the early posts of "The Big Challenge". I remember how thrilled I was to finally sell an item for more than $10.00 and the first time I made over $100 in a week, I was speechless. How things have changed. I've noticed I've become super picky about what I buy. When I first started I didn't know brands and ended up with a lot of "wild cards". I used to list 90 items and made the same profit as I make now with listing 40 items. When I calculated the percentage of items that would sell in the first week on ebay it usually fell around 20-30%. Now my average is more like 60-70% of the items I list sell in the first week. I share this with you, not to brag, but to show that anyone can learn this business. It takes time, but if you stick with it- in no time at all you'll be reaping the benefits of extra income. Let's take a look at this week's top sellers...
Women's Anthropologie Monteau Size S Knit Tank sold for $15.00
Women's Sahalie Size XL Purple Organic Cotton Skirt sold for $15.55
Women's White House Black Market Size 8 Cotton Dress sold for $17.00
Women's INC International Concepts Size M Sweater Dress sold for $19.18
Women's J. Crew Size 4 Bright Peach Skirt sold for $20.50
And this week's top seller was a pair of Women's Gap Size 16 Long Denim Long and Lean Jeans. They sold for $30.00. I'm truly grateful to Laura who inspired me to start selling clothes on ebay. Although I really hated it the first 6 weeks, I soon became addicted and now love the freedom I have with the extra income. I hope if any of you are thinking about getting started that you go ahead and jump in. Go to your local thrift store or yard sale and buy 20- $1.00 items. That's how I started. I listed 23 things my first week. 6 sold! If you get discouraged, go back and read my big challenge posts starting at the end of February 2010. So lets see if I've learned anything in the last year. Here's this week's totals...

Ebay Total:$490.99
Costs: 85.00(clothes), 68.30(ebay fees), 29.24(paypal fees)
Total Profit: $308.45

A big ebay total, but also some big expenses. Did I really spend 85.00 on clothes? Yes. I took a chance this week and paid $40.00 for one item- I'm going to leave you in suspense until I see if the item sells- it didn't sell this week, but you never know. If you have any questions, please leave us a comment- we love to hear from you. Happy ebaying. Love, Kelly.

14 comments:

  1. I love your stories because I can really relate!!! I started selling items on ebay about 1 year ago -- but selling NEW items :-) (because I couldn't be bothered with trash, LOL). Now after reading your blog, I started selling trash also! yay! and it does sell!!!

    I really love your ladies' blog. It is a great mix of the business and your personalities! Love it! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your one-year anniversary. Who's the teacher now? :) Here's to you finding a wicked Anthroplogie skirt! You're such a blast and I couldn't ask for a better friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura and Kelly, I love to read your blog. My favorite part is that you are so encouraging of others to give this a try. I am a SAHM and would love to be able to help contribute to our family's income somehow. Despite your encouraging words and my love for thrifting, I am scared! The shipping and ebay part is what I shy from - I have never used ebay!! How should I approach that part as a true ebay newbie? I know you have some helpful posts, but I can't recall one that was as simple as how to set up becoming a seller on ebay! Congrats on making it this far and for your success! It makes me happy to see that you have reached your goals! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kelly & Laura,
    First off I have start by saying THANK YOU VERY MUCH for what you guys do. And that you are both and inspiration to me and many many others.
    I found your blog Saturday ( this past Saturday) evening around
    p.m. and I forced myself to turn the computer off around 2 a.m. I couldn;t get enough of it all the kids, Ebay, Craigslist, the furniture transformations...... I has been amazing.
    My husband and I were unemployed for two years with no income when a friend of mind told me about Ebay. I started with a couple of my children's clothes I had in he house (the first couple of transactions, were let's just say I learned alot about shipping fees and how some postal workers work) and I've been plugging away ever since. It's been a year and a half now. I sell a lile bit of everything, but I recently sared focusing on clothes more than anything, and your blog is clear proof that it is absolutely possible to make some $$$$$$$ selling pre-owned clothing.
    My biggest challenge is listing - the descripions -- take me sooooo long, bu I noiced in your listing you just stae the main points and keep on movin. I am going to try to simpify my listing.
    I apoloize for this long post, but I was so excited to read your post today and everyday. Again, Thank You So much...
    Luv ,
    Myriam from Florida

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, you and Laura are awesome. It's because of you that I took the plunge selling on eBay, and I'm so happy I did. That first $20 was the best money I've spent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your anniversary! I would also like to say thankyou for giving me the courage to start selling on ebay. I found your blog 3 weeks ago and like all the others I spent the day reading the entire blog, you two are just awesome! I figured I would start with getting rid of all the unwanted things in my home. I have many things that I am not willing to give away for nothing in a yard sale. Last week was my first week and I made $153.00 on 10 auctions. I was so excited to get more things listed but the hardest part is getting everything listed and then having the patience of waiting for them to be over. I give you credit for getting 100 a week listed. Thankyou so much for giving me the courage to try it!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsay,
    We will work on a post on how to become an ebay seller- Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. way to go kelly! i hope you get yourself something nice for your anniversary :) i love trash to cash wednesdays - it is sooo inspiring and keeps me motivated. i'll be in arizona this summer and can't wait to hit up the goodwill - you find awesome name brands!!

    as a side note and question (and maybe it's just because i'm a little slow) but is it true ebay charges a listing fee, a final value fee, and then paypal also charges their fee?? i don't know why i'm just now realizing this??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whitney,
    Yes it's true, ebay rakes in the dollars from its' sellers- but they also offer an amazing opportunity to sell our clothes worldwide- so it's all worth it. I usually figure on 20% to fees. Also, please email us when you're coming to AZ, we'd love to meet up for lunch and take you around to our favorite spots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kelly & Laura,
    Thank you both for being so wonderful and doing what you do! I came across your blog about three weeks ago, and decided I would give eBay selling a shot. My story is a bit different, I'm a poor college student who is constantly at the goodwill and thrift stores anyways, and your blog greatly motivated me to start selling items on eBay. In the past two weeks, I've sold $417 already! The eBay fees and paypal fees can be expensive, but I'm loving it! Thanks for motivating me and being so great! I look forward to reading your blog everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your blog last week and was so inspired-- I pulled 2 dozen items from my closet and hit the Goodwill for $1 day today (I never knew there was a $1 day, I was always thrilled to go on 50% off day!!!). I used your blog to make a list of brand names that might be good, and was able to come home with 30 items I think will do ok! No luck scoring Anthropologie, but some day!!!! :-) I can't wait to list, sell, and see what happens!! My goal is to pay off my car in 24 months with ebay and craigslist sales on top of the payments I already make!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yay i can't wait! you ladies are great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ladies! I love your blog and because of you started selling on ebay a few weeks ago. I figured why not since I was always buying things in Goodwill anyway :)

    I've done pretty well, but don't know how much to price items. Any tips? Oh, and my Goodwill never has dollar days. BOOOO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous,
    We have a whole post dedicated to pricing- you can check it out here:
    http://mydeartrash.blogspot.com/2010/10/ebay-pricing.html

    ReplyDelete