Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Milestone

When I first started re-doing furniture, I was overwhelmed by it all.  The only tools the counselor and I owned were a screwdriver and a hammer.  Still, I wanted to learn how to do it so bad and wasn't going to give up easily.
My first attempt to paint a dresser was with a brush and a can of paint.
My boys stood around while I slowly took off the fixtures.  
Stroke by stroke, I painted that piece of furniture, giving them each a chance to help.
I was amazed at what a little paint could do.
I wasn't long before,I started taking more chances; which only produced a new wave of questions.
Which grade of sandpaper should I use for striping?  
What shade of stain for antiquing?  
What is the difference between flat, semi-gloss and gloss paint?  
Little by little, error by error and miracle by miracle, I started learning tricks of the trade.
Last week, a friend asked if I would help her paint this china hutch.  When I first started, I would have never attempted such a thing.  Back then, I would've never dreamed I could paint something like this.
Didn't it turn out gorgeous!
I'm so glad I tried that first time.  Now, I actually own a power sander and power drill too!

1 comment:

  1. I want to paint my dining room table, 6 chairs and my china cabinet after Christmas. We just moved into a new home with dark wood cabinets and medium brown hardwood floors what paint color would you suggest? I will be doing a glaze also because of all the nooks and crannies in the chairs and china cabinet. Have you ever done a peice where you restain the top of the table or dresser and then paint the sides? And last but not least....Can you give me a run down on how you prepare the wood to do your projects and any other things that might help me with this project. This will be my very first time doing this and if I screw up my table and china cabinet my husband will kill me.

    ReplyDelete