Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Why NOT To Have Carpet

Here's a sort of before picture of half of the room were working on.  

This is when it was nearly empty- I have two entire rooms full of what used to be in this room (this room is just under 400 square feet).  Most of the items are things I'm selling- so hopefully I can pack them up, take them to my next estate sale, make a few bucks, then start with a clean slate.



We had a little child labor going on as one daughter helped cut and roll up the carpet

 And the other pried off tack boards and nails.  In this picture you can see why this is my last room with carpeting.  If you're missing it, here's a closer shot....

Dirt!  This is actual dirt that was under the carpet padding.  I think this room was added on to the house sometime in the early 80's- and I think the carpet was original.  NASTY!  When we purchased this home 10 years ago my Grandmother lived in this area for 6 months before passing away, then a nanny for 6 months, then my brother-in-law for 2 years, then it was three of my daughter's bedrooms, then my husband's grandmother lived here for 2 1/2 years.  For the past year it's been my dumping ground  for my garage and estate finds.  Now our goal is to take out the window pictured above and put in a french door- this will allow access from the outside.  We will install wood flooring, paint and add a few decorative touches and then I'd like to hold vintage shows a few times a year in the space.  It will be a great place to photograph and showcase my craigslist items.  I'll keep you posted on our progress- I need about 1,000 to get the flooring started and probably another 700.00  for the french door- so this process will take a little while- wish me luck.  Love, Kelly.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you about carpet dirt! I got rid of all carpet in my home except for 2 bedrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow! This room will be a lovely addition for your business. You will be able to showcase all your items so nicely. I love the french door idea. Can't wait to see the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting, Kelly! This is such a cool direction for you to go in---hosting stuff at your house.

    Good luck!
    Peace,
    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a wonderful idea! Love that you have the goals too so that you can do it as money permits. More motivation to sell more things to get there quicker. Its fun to see your priojects & plans. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! You are so good with setting a goal and reaching it. I am sure it'll come along quicker than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just going to stay I am glad I left for Nicaragua before this project was undertaken: I can not imagine how many bugs were found!!

    ReplyDelete