Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Intentions

I really do have the best of intentions.

Like when I did the laundry today. I had every intention of hanging everything up, you know, fresh out of the dryer, but there the counselor’s shirts lay on the laundry table, all curled up in cotton-wrinkled balls. Sorry, babe.

At dinner, my intention turned into an excuse like “I meant to make a healthy dinner, but we ordered pizza instead.”

I wake up, certain to make time for yoga. I’m determined, but so is my two-year old initiating potty training. I chase him around the house with his potty chair and a clean pair of underwear. That counts as a work-out, doesn’t it?

Chandler’s glasses cracked at the frame a month ago. I’ve had the best of intentions to get him a new pair, but it’s amazing how a little bit of packaging tape can keep the lense stuck the frame. Does ingenuity confer with intention? In this case, I think it does.

Everyone understands I have the best of intentions. Everyone is patient. Everyone expect for me.

So when Kelly and I sponsored The My Dear Trash Earth Day Book Drive, I had every intention of making it sparkle.

It was going to be huge, like firecrackers on the 4th of July.

I dream big and don’t apologize for it.

I made contacts with amazing people at Changing Hands and Bookmans. I loved the recipients over at the Friend of the Phoenix Public Library. What great people. What great things they do in our community.

I was going to contact local and national authors, network in the community with schools and bookstores and get on the local evening news.

For Earth Day, I wanted to do it all. I would do it all

But, sometimes the best of intentions get booted for something more important.

Like a perfect healthy baby girl.


Earth Day came and went. In the garage sit the books I wanted to donate for the book drive. I had every intention to get to Changing Hands, but …

I felt awful.

I received an email today from Alexis at the Friends of the Phoenix Public Library.

Her message felt like a hug.

She sent over the numbers.

The My Dear Trash Earth Day Book Drive collected 800 books.

Excuse me? Really. That’s pretty cool.

It just goes to show; when your heart is in the right place everything works out.

Thank you for all who contributed, who donated and who had the best of intentions to do something special on Earth Day. Let’s do it again next year.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who dreams big, has awesome intentions, but often gets sidetracked by life. Thanks for reminding me that it all works out in the long run.

    And YAY for an awesome book drive! Woot!!!

    Peace & Love,
    ~Barb~

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go little lady! you are AMAZING! i still think of you whenever i see lentils. the things you could do with lentils is amazing! me however - we have to put that on the shelf of my "good intentions" - lentils are not my friend in the cooking world. :) you are blessed girl! love u.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about dreaming big...I am a Pisces, that's what I do everyday, but I know I am doing the best I can...One day at a time...
    Having a beautiful, healthy, baby girl was one of the greatest accomplishments. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete