Search This Blog

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Open House – A $1,000 Anonymous Gift

I’ve been writing books for two decades and since last October, I’ve published 4 books including Starving Girl – My 30-Day Experience with the Miracles of Intermittent Fasting and Prayer, What Has Your Sister Done – True Stories of Unplanned Pregnancy, The Stolen Bible(historical YA) and My 100 Daughters of India Coloring Book.  It’s been amazing to be involved in projects that feel so purposeful and passionate to me. Never have I been so focused on my work.  Funny how having a 6th baby in your early forties can do that to a gal, but it’s just the miracle that my son Canyon has brought me.  He is nearly the perfect baby and happily plays in my lap while I work on my projects. His love motivates me on so many levels.

I also had the opportunity to help write and The Memory Catcher with my mom author Sarah Hinze.  In all this time, I’ve never had a book launch, an open house or even a celebration (other then the happy dance I do in my office while still in my pajamas).

Last month, I published My 100 Daughters of India Coloring Book and while I was out on a run in September, I had the idea to do an open house.  Considering my kitchen flooded and is currently just a cement floor waiting to be renovated, I didn’t know what to do with an impression like that?  An open house certainly couldn’t be at my home.  Suddenly, my amazing friend’s name came to mind – Karen Cox. I had recently been to her new home and there was such a feeling of peace, creativity and love, I knew where I wanted it to be. I immediately called her, told her my idea and she said “Yes, have it at my house.” (Thank you Karen, I love you with all my heart.)

Since setting the date of the open house, I’ve been planning events and sharing My 100 Daughters of India Coloring Book at schools and even hosted a birthday party.





It’s amazing how comfortable it is for me to talk about, especially in front of kids.  Kids are my people!! I start with sharing my first sketch I drew of a girl from India. The drawing is awful, but I share it to prove with lots of practice, determination and patience, hard work pays off, even when you’re drawing 100 beautiful girls from India.

Way off in the distance was this date for the open house.  I knew it was the right things to do, but it wouldn’t be in front of kids and this was what started to frighten me the most. 

Yesterday, I was a jumble of nerves.  To think I’d inflicted this public speaking event onto myself, whoa, I guess I was all in, but once everyone arrived, all people I knew who loved and supported me, I straightened up and did what I felt I needed to do – I talked about the girls of India.  When I read the poem My 100 Daughters, I cried (like usual). 



Afterwards, there were a few questions, I shared my goal to sponsor 100 girls through Rising Star Outreach with either the sales of the coloring book or donations and everyone left.  I was so glad I’d done it.



Karen and I were in the kitchen with my red-headed neighbor’s two daughters 



(who had been helping me all day with babysitting and preparing refreshments) and I went to grab my bag when I was stopped in my tracks! Inside that bag, were 10 crisp $100 dollar bills!!  Somebody has anonymously donated $1,000.  



Oh My Gosh!!! I was stunned, shocked and immediately realized I had no idea who had done it.  Oh, I wanted to say thank you, thank you so much. How many girls would that sponsor?  Almost three, and I have nearly $100 ready to donate from coloring book sales. With the three girls our family already helps and now these three more, our momentum is really taking off.  Six girls will have their lives forever changed.  Did you know at Rising Star, they teach the kids English?  Do you know what it means for a child in India to speak English? Already, these kids are standing out and Rising Star is the top school in the area.  They will change India. Keep in mind, Rising Star schools kids from the leprosy colonies. Without Rising Star, these children don’t have a chance.  They will be left to beg and will live in extreme poverty there entire life, but now, their destiny is forever changed. 

Yes, there is a lot of work to reach the goal of sponsoring 100 girls, but after last night, I feel so much support.  I know this project is bigger then me, it is in God’s hands and through out the year there will be mighty miracles as He, through the help of others, helps these girls. Did you know in India there is a wedding tradition to bless a bride to have 100 sons?  That’s right, because girls are not wanted. To think God named this project My 100 Daughters is a miracle. These girls desperately need our help.  These girls are all of our daughters.



To purchase a coloring book on Amazon, click here.

To make a donation to Rising Star, call the number found here. Please mention you’d like to donate to the My 100 Daughters fund.









2 comments:

  1. Nice videos...

    http://www.grsshoes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is still just amazing to me. Thank you for all the work that you are doing to change these children and individuals' lives! And for spreading awareness. It makes all the difference! You're a gift.

    ReplyDelete