Search This Blog

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Meet our Dorothy Draper Couch

With so much life-changing things going on over here, I thought I’d write about something trivial – like our new couch.


Truly, it deserves it’s own blog post, doesn’t it?

Now that we’re not moving, Derek has taken it upon himself to accentuate the mid century features of our 45 year-old home.  It has some Frank Loyd Wright styling.  When we were house shopping, Derek and I were drawn to the more contemporary homes, homes that look very similar to our own.  It’s funny to think you’re moving, clean up your home, repaint, re-carpet and get it sale-ready, only to find out your home is exactly what you’ve been looking for all along.  I’m so thankful we didn’t move.  I love it here.

Derek has shown me on-line mid century clocks, tiles for the new kitchen back splash, chairs for the living room, paintings, retro front doors – all things to improve our current living space and make it a piece of art.  A few weeks ago, he started showing me mid century couches on craigslist.  There were two in the Phoenix area, both great and priced around $800.  He made offers on both and both were declined.  We weren’t super crazy about either one and considered paying full price for the one we liked the best, until the next day when Derek found this little jewel – a Dorothy Draper reupholstered leather mid century couch, in Mesa, for $425. 


I’d been a bit passive with Derek’s new found mid century fascination.  There was no rush on purchases, we could hem and haw about design, scour different patterns and impressions, but then he showed me this couch. 

“We have to get that!” I said and we headed across town to take a look.  It was in perfect condition, sturdy, comfy, stylish and the perfect piece of mid century design to start us on this journey.  The couple was adorable and the homeowner showed me pictures from the 1950’s or her parents dressing up for galas, standing in front of the couch. 

When Derek and I returned home, we did a little research on Dorothy Draper.  




She was an interior decorator and furniture maker who in 1937 had become a household name. 


She started what is believed to be the first interior decorating firm and designed and decorated hotel and museum lobbies and more.  I've always loved eclectic coloring and adore everything I can find on her.




She had a best-selling fabric line, best-selling books and during the depression encouraged housewives to “paint their front door red.” 



Now, her couch is sitting in my living room and not only am I inspired by the amazing Dorothy Draper, but it looks like I have a true piece of art from the mid century era.  I’m putting my honey in charge of the rest of the decorating.  He's got great taste, after all, he picked me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment